Marci Debetaz – Project #1
I started with an adult dress that I could no longer wear, it had a knit top and a rayon skirt. I paired this with a one yard cut of eyelet I picked up on a clearance rack last year. I decided to use Simplicity pattern 1453 (girls size 4) and just barely cut out the body and skirt of the new dress out of the original rayon skirt. I literally just had tiny scraps left over, which is one of my goals when I use upcycled items, use it all! I then used the eyelet for the trim on the dress and matching shorts. I lined the shorts and bodice with a black knit fabric I had in my stash. The trim on the dress is interfaced and I didn’t want the interfacing to show through the eyelet holes so I cut tiny fabric scraps and covered the holes before fusing down the interfacing. I used clear vintage buttons from my stash and voila, I had a finished outfit. My little girl has worn it several times now, it fits perfectly with just enough room for her to grow and get several years out of this upcycled garment.