Marci Debetaz – Project #2
This upcycle started with a cotton tablecloth I was no longer using, it has a great hand and I knew it could be a fantastic garment. I paired it with the three Windham Fabrics fat quarters the contestants received. All the ribbon trim sewn on the tablecloth was removed and I was able to cut out a Wiksten Haori with very little scrap leftover. I used the three fat quarters and a free pattern (I enlarged) from the Windham Fabrics website, Dragonfly by Wendy Sheppard. Using paper piecing, I created a large emblem for the back and two small pieces for the pockets. I then hand stitched them to the Haori and finished them off with simple quilting in the inner circle and blanket stitched around the outer edges using pearl cotton thread. I also used pearl cotton to add some simple hand stitching as embellishment to the Haori, following the lines left from the ribbon trim that was originally sewn on the tablecloth. I chose to leave this jacket unlined as it is too hot in Louisiana for a heavy jacket to get much use. Twill tape was used to finish all the interior seams and hem for a nice clean finish.